The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
The most recent breakthrough on understanding the health benefits comes from Dr. Mary Newport’s work on Alzheimer’s in her husband. She identified organic coconut oil as an excellent source of fuel which can increase brain functions. Her findings have implications for memory improvement as well as for neurological degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s, Lou Gehrig’s (ALS), diabetes, etc.
Brain cells (specifically neurons) are limited in what kinds of fuel they can use to stay alive. Glucose is the main fuel used by these cells but in Alzheimer’s patients certain neurons of the brain are unable to use glucose and consequently, slowly die off. This death of these brain cells may begin as much as a decade before symptoms actually become apparent.
However, neurons that are unable to use glucose can instead use an alternative fuel known as ketone bodies. Ketone bodies are readily made by the liver from medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oils (found in large amounts in coconut oil- over 60% MCT’s). Having access to these needed ketone bodies may be crucial in keeping these brain cells alive and in helping them to continue to function as normal.
Dr. Newport’s husband, quickly deteriorating with Alzheimer’s, found a miraculous and an immediate increase in brain function in just 24 hours after taking two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil. In 2008, for a medical screening he was asked to draw a simple clock (see picture #1 below) which noticeably showed an adult with decreased brain function. However, the results of a clock drawn after taking coconut oil for two weeks (picture #2) and after 37 days (picture #3) are miraculous to say the least. See below for all three pictures. To date, her husband continues to take coconut oil and has noticed an improved quality of life. He is alert, happy, talkative, cracking jokes, able to concentrate better, more social and has a decrease in tremors.
Coconut Oil Benefits
Alzeimer’s and Other Neurological Diseases
• Medium-chain triglyceride (MCT’s) found in coconut oil are readily converted into fuel used by brain cells for improved brain function
• Helps fight wrinkles, sagging skin and age spots
• Works as a protective antioxidant
• Helps ward off free radicals that cause premature aging and degenerative diseases
• Maintains body’s antioxidant reserves whereas other oils deplete them
• Protects skin from harmful ultraviolet rays which increases wrinkles
• Works as a nutritional source of quick energy from the medium chain triglycerides (MCTs)
• Increases energy and endurance
• Helps our body to absorb certain nutrients such as calcium and magnesium which are good for the bones thus helping prevent osteoporosis
• Helps control blood sugar and improves the insulin secretion
• Helps prevent and treat diabetes by helping to use the blood glucose effectively
• Reduces symptoms and health risks of diabetes
• Provides ketones as alternative fuel to glucose
• Improves digestive system thus preventing stomach and digestive related problems including IBS
• Has microbial properties which help fight off bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc. that cause indigestion
• Helps the body absorb other vitamins, minerals and amino acids
• Improves bowel functions
• Aids in killing off tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites
• Helps prevent kidney and gall bladder diseases
• Aids in dissolving kidney stones
• Contains medium chain triglycerides and fatty which are easily converted into energy when reaching the liver thus reducing the work of the liver and thus preventing liver diseases
• Relieves stress on pancreas
• Reduces pancreatitis symptoms
• Aids in the natural chemical balance of skin
• Is an excellent moisturizer on all skin types especially dry skin
• Helps relieve dryness and flaking of skin
• Used by many skin manufacturers as basis for soaps, lotions, creams, etc.
• Forms a protective layer from dust, air, fungi, bacteria and virus when applied to infections
• Speeds up healing of bruises as it helps repair damaged tissues.
• Has antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties which is effective in fighting infections
• Reduces symptoms of psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis and other skin problems.
return to Healthy Living